2 relating to or characteristic of the classical Greek civiliHzation [syn: Hellenistic, Hellenistical]
3 of or relating to or characteristic of Greece or the Greeks; "Greek mythology"; "a grecian robe" [syn: Greek, Grecian] n : the Hellenic branch of the Indo-European family of languages [syn: Greek, Hellenic language]
EtymologyFrom Ελληνικός (Hellenikos) "of or relating to Greece or Greeks", from Ancient Greek Ελλάς (Hellas) "Greece".
- Rhymes: -ɛnɪk
- Greek: Ελληνικός (Hellenikos)
Hellenic or Hellenes may refer to:
- Hellenic Republic, the modern state of Greece
- Hellenes, a term for either ancient or modern Greeks
- Hellenic, anything related to Greece in general or Ancient Greece in particular
- Hellenic College, a liberal arts college in Brooklyn, Massachusetts
- Hellenes, a relatively small but vigorous tribe during the era of the Trojan War
- Hellenistic civilization, the spreading of Greek culture over the non-Greek peoples that were conquered by Alexander the Great
- Hellenistic Greece, the period between the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC and the annexation of the Greek peninsula and islands by Rome in 146 BC
- Helladic period, The Bronze Age period of mainland Greece spanning c.2800 - 1100 B.C.
- Hellenic American Academy in Lowell, Massachusetts
- Hellenic plate, a minor tectonic plate under Greece, Italy and Turkey
- Hellenic Athletes, a website dedicated to the ancient Hellenic sports of athletics and weightlifting.